Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Other Craig Shames

I'm a compulsive self googler. You never know when you're going to make you way into the Sunday edition of the Chicago Times, have a poem that you wrote get stolen by a girl who lives in India or draw the wrath of a feminist group. (All true stories by the way) So, it should come as no surprise that a movie review that I wrote about Spider Man 3 made its way into The Times, A Brittish newspaper.

Here's what I had to say:

"This movie was a dreadful disappointment. I was very excited about seeing it and got tickets a week in advance for IMAX. Maybe it was just my expectations were too high, but I was actually excited for it to be over. The entire thing was contrived and sophomoric , I'm sorry thats an oversight it is less then that it was not even Freshamoric. Even the excited prepubescent fanboys around me left feeling let down. Its no wonder the cast is sick of the franchise, they knew how bad this movie was. The script was terrible and it dragged the entire way. The fight scenes were few and far between and lacked any plausible realism (I know the whole concept lacks realism but the CGI was too much), plus I was so bored I did not really care by the end. Oh and bad ass Tobey just did not work - I like him as an actor, but a new hairstyle and ridiculous dancing to be cool was laughable. corporate Hollywood sold spiderman's soul."

- Craig Shames, Boston, MA

The only problem is that I've never seen Spider Man 3 and didn't write that review. It does sound exactly like something I would have written though and I find it more than just a mere coincidence that it has my name on it and lists me as living in Boston, MA which I did for 4 years.

Now either someone who writes for the newspaper made up that quote and attributed my name to it, presumably after getting it off a mailing list that they bought off of those bastards at Northeastern University. Or there's another Craig Shames running around out there. Scarry thought, huh?

Well I did a little bit of research and I found out that there is another Craig Shames who lives in Boston. He's actually a grad student at the New England School of Law. Check out the striking resemblance.




He seems like a pretty cool guy. I wonder if he likes licorice nibs, Natalie Portman or Lost?

No comments: