Saturday, July 11, 2009

Shame(s) on You: Twitter Dee, Twitter Dumb

Twitter me this, twitter me that. What's a complete waste of time? It's twitter!


I'll be the first to admit that I'm not exactly the standard bearer of cool. I know that may be hard for some people to fathom but it's true. I'm not a trend setter by any stretch of the imagination and I was never the first kid on my block to get anything except for maybe chicken pox. So it should come as no surprise when I tell you that I haven't gotten into the whole twitter craze yet.


It's possible that I could get into it at some point. Traditionally I've been very slow to adapt to change. My video game system of choice is still Nintendo. But unless I'm misstaken there's really no point to Twitter. Is it just me or isn't a tweet the same as just posting a status update on your facebook page? Did they really just take one aspect of a social networking site and make a whole new site? What's next tag.com where you can only post and comment on pictures?


I do have to admit that there is one cool aspect of Twitter and that's the access that you gain into the personal lives of celebrities. Hearing Lance Armstrong talk about the Tour de France while it's going on is pretty cool. As would be hearing Chad Ochocinco talk about the football game he's playing in at halftime or Shaq discussing his thoughts on getting traded to Cleveland. I almost want to join just to find out what Brittany Snow had for breakfast.


But ultimately is there really a point to any of this? Just look at what happend with Myspace. A few years ago it was the thing to do and now it's only used by club promoters and pedophiles. By the time I do get around to joining Twitter we'll probably be onto some new craze. I think I'll wait this one out and take my chances that something better comes along. Tag.com anyone?

No comments: