Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Shames on Shames: Attention Whore

Barry Bonds isn't the only person who can have his own platform from where he self promotes and gives his side of the story. Thanks to blogger.com now I can have my own forum as well. Which is why all week long I'll be giving you all a rare introspective look at my inner thoughts as only I can. It's everything you ever wanted to know about Craig Shames from the man himself.

Up today, Shames on craving attention:

I'll admit it. I'm an attention whore. Hard to believe isn't it? Especially since it's hard to believe that someone with my sexual prowess can be a whore of any kind and yet I've managed to become an attention whore. But the truth is, I just can't help myself.

Attention is a lot like sugar. Once you have it in your system you want more. And I could really go for some chocolate right now. I'm not quite sure when I turned into such a big whore. It probably was some time in college since that's really when I started to come out of my shell. I realized after years of being a wallflower in high school that I needed to speak up more and assert myself socially.

It turns out though that what I wound up saying were outlandish things that did nothing more than befuddle the people around me. Faced with the difficult decision of either saying nothing or saying ridiculously over the top things I chose the later. And the world hasn't been the same since.

In fact, the advent of this blog has just fueled my desire to say more and more crazy things. After all, the old Craig would have never been quoted in the Chicago Tribune, drawn the ire of feminist groups, or been contacted by members of the Free Masons. The attention whore version of myself however has done all that and more.

And truthfully it feels good to finally get the long overdue recognition that I deserve albeit that people recognize me for being a dumb ass half the time. At least they are finally acknowledging what I have to say! Which begs the question: is it better to say intelligent things that no one hears or outlandish things that everyone hears?

I'll let that one marinate in your head for a while. I'm off to the strip club to visit some people who crave attention even more than I do.

No comments: