Friday, June 30, 2006

Weekly Twilight Zone Update

The crazy continues with one of my busiest weeks yet. Here's a look back at all the eerie examples from this week:

First off, there was yet another Entrouage tie in as last week's episode featured the guys reuniting with an old buddy of theirs from New York who just got out of prison. The guy handed Eric a script that he had written while in the slammer. That seemed odd to me since this is the first time that the show has introduced any characters from Vince's past and the first one that they do just so happens to do the one thing that I really want to do and that's write a movie script.

Speaking of screenwriting, I was watching a little bit of Forrest Gump, a movie which I hadn't seen in quite some time, over the weekend. The very next day I was flipping through one of the screenwriting books that I had taken out from the library and just so happened to stop on a page talking about characterization that coincidentally used Forrest Gump as an examle of a unique and well developed character.

During the week I went food shopping at Publix and this mom got guilted into pulling her twin daughters these litle Winne the Poo teddy bears that were dangling from a display in front of one of the aisles. I could tell that she was mad at the upper management of Publix for displaying these teddy bears but at that point had no choice but to buy them or risk having her kids cry for the rest of the night. The very next day my co-worker Karl brought in a bottle of honey to add to his tea.

While at work on Friday I was listening to a podcast about Lost as usual and at the exact moment that one of the speakers said the word scavenger I came across a chapter in the book that I was working on entitled 'Oxygen Scavengers'.

Monday while watching the USA network there was a promo for the return of Monk on Friday night July 7th. I immediately thought to myself what a dumb idea that was since no one is going to be home that night since they'll all be at opening night of Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Just as the words were coming out of my mouth a commercial for the movie aired immediately thereafter.

During the week I was talking to my co-worker about Dick Cheney and his company, Haliburton. Later that same day I listened to a Lewis Black bit about Cheney and his company, Haliburton.

If you're still not sold yet that I'm living in the Twilight Zone then this final example well surely change your mind. Brian and I were talking about how Peter Gammons is during the week after watching him report during a baseball game. I was inspired by this conversation and actually wrote the following joke for my Week In Review section: I think that Peter Gammons and Dick Clark should be at the forefront of the movement to clean up the environment. After all, the excesses of mankind won't be affecting their grandchildren like it will ours. It'll actually be affecting them! The very next day Gammons was hospitalized with a brain aneurysm. Now what say you to that?

No comments: