Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Digital Disarray

I thought that DVD's were the wave of the future. This great new technology that was going to revolutionize movie watching the way CD's changed the way we listened to music.

Smaller, lightier, and easier to store than video casettes they were going to be the medium through which we entertained ourselves the way A tracks once were and the way something else one day will be.

The DVD was the medium of choice. But I don't see it. In fact, I don't see much of anything these days when I go to watch a movie because everytime that I try to the movie skips more than the playground of an all girls school at recess.

Why is it that every time I go to watch a movie from my DVD collection or rent one from Blockbuster or Hollywood Video problems arise more frequently than they do in the Oval Office during Bush's presidency?

First it was, Closer. Then, National Treasure. Then, Hitch. And now, National Treasure again. I haven't seen this many scratches since the last time I went to pet Patches.

Now I know what you're going to say and it's not my DVD player because I've had problems now on three separate players. Nor is it the copy of the movie because it's happened to multiples movies and multiples copies of the same movie. What it is clearly, is a problem with the technology. DVD's just aren't as reliable as they once were or were supposed to be.

Maybe they're not making them the same way anymore. In an effort to cut production costs perhaps they're making them cheaper. Or maybe, just maybe, they're making them this way, purposely, so as to frustrate us so much, that we'll have no choice but to start buying the next technology that comes out just in time for Christmas 2k9.

Don't look at me like that. I think I'm onto something here. In fact, I know I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you suck at writing and softball but how can anyone suck at using a dvd player???congrats you found a way