Wednesday, November 23, 2005

What's Up With Sodoku?

If you ride the train to work or haven't been living under a rock for the last few months I'm sure you've heard of the latest puzzle craze, Sodoku. The object of the game is to arrange the numbers 1-9 within 3x3 squares so that same numbers don't reappear within each square or within the horizontal and vertical rows of the larger cube that you're working within.

It's a game that tests your ability to think three steps ahead and I can see the merits of it. But like most things, I can't get into it myself or enjoy it, even though I might, simply because it's become too wide spread and popular.

I hate conformity with society which is why I've never read the Davinci Code, saw the Godfather movies, tried stuffing, wanted to get a Masters degree or travelled to a popular hot spot. It might be to my own detriment but there's no way I'm going to jump on this Sodoku bandwagon.

It's just the latest craze right up there with pogs, pokemon, and potter. And since it's not going to last past my 24th birthday I have no interest in trying it out. As far as I'm concerned I'll be more than happy to spend my train rides reading the Daily News, Clive Cussler, Maxim, and Highlights assuming that is that I can get a job in the big city.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you hate conformity then why are you adding to the ever increasing blogging craze that has pretty much taken over society.

the only thing worst than a conformist is a fake nonconformist.

word of the day: hypocritical

Craig Shames said...

Good point but I like to think that I got in on blogging before it became as wide spread as it has. Same thing with Lost. Or believe me, I wouldn't have gotten into either.

Part of the appeal for me is identifying things that are going to blow up before they do. Not riding shotgun on the bandwagon once they do.

Anonymous said...

I'll make this simple.

1. While I dont want to completely knock this avenue of self worth you have created for yourself, there are just too many ridiculous misconceptions that you feel the need to spew over the internet.

2. If the world can look to you as some sort of modern day fashionista for pop culture when you still wear socks with sandals, we're in big trouble.

3. Blogging has been around for ages. You certainly were not the first, nor were you anywhere near the beginning. Here's a little article that proves my point.

http://www.blogherald.com/2005/03/06/a-short-history-of-blogging/

If you notice, you were actually about 16 when the first official list of blogs was produced.

4. So clearly you're not riding shotgun on this bandwagon... no no no. Give me a break Craig, you're lucky if you're in the trunk.

WB said...

Just happened to be checking to see if you replied to my incendiary comment. You didn't, but I'll chime in on this topic.

I gave you the link for blogger.com when you wanted to start a blog.

The reason I had the link: My 55 year-old, technologically inept boss had told me the week before the she wanted to start a blog. With her knowing nothing about computers or the internet, I looked up the website for her.