Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Viva La Raza

In the words of Konnan: Yo. Yo. Yo. Let me speak on this. Odele. Viva la raza.

I've been blogging now for over six months and the most amazing thing about that is that I haven't yet once written about wrestling. That's all about to change though because the death of WWE wrestler Eddie Guerrero has inspired me to write a wrestling based column. Not about Guerrero himself since I wasn't his biggest fan. Rather about what I would do if I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth and my last name was McMahon. To that end, here are a few of my many suggestions for the WWE:

1. No tag, tag team matches - Drawing from my days of playing No Mercy with Sean and Chris there's nothing more fun that tag team matches with no tagging. 2 on 2 with all four wrestlers fighting at the same time. Now that would be hot. And while we're on the subject of tag teams how about making some. The tag team division is pathetic. Pair some mid card single wrestlers together and make this division interesting again.

2. Create a super heavyweight division - There's nothing worse than watching Rey Mysterio get held down because he's fighting a slow lug like JBL. Create a belt that all the big guys can fight for which will free up the actual good wrestlers to wrestle each other. Such a division would include JBL, the Big Show, Kane, the Undertaker, Heidenreich, Batista, Chris Masters, etc. And would free up HHH, Kurt Angle, John Cena, Randy Orton, Edge, HBK, Benoit, etc. to fight each other.

3. Cover wrestling in the main stream media - It has fixed results so that won't happen, although boxing does too and that gets some coverage. Some outlets do try though. The NY Daily News has a column about it every Friday but the only way it could be worse would be if I wrote it myself. If the WWE could encourage media outlets to cover news and results the way they've covered the death of Guerrero and it could go a long way towards helping ratings.

I could go on all day but I won't since most people probably stopped reading after they found out I was writing aboug wrestling. If you're name is Chris and you're still reading I have a few more ideas including bringing back the King of the Ring, Hardcore Division, and combining Raw and Smackdown into one brand. Other than that the rest of my ideas are about as silly as the sight of Eddie Guerrero cutting a promo in Spanglish while riding to the ring in a low rider with suped up hydrolics.

No comments: