Wednesday, November 30, 2005

From Temp To Perm

Well that didn't take long. After temping for one day I've been offered a six month position with a high profile company located near Wall Street. That's all I'm going to say about that, partly because I like being vague so that people think I'm more important than I actually am and primarily because I don't want to be that guy who gets fired for talking about his job on a blog.

What I can talk about is how lucky I am to have landed this position after only working for one day, especially considering that I spent that day working for a different company in a different field on the other side of the city. Whoever said that you need to get one foot in the door to work your way up the corporate ladder was wrong. All you need to do is get one foot in the coatroom.

Now that I'm on my way to a steady paycheck I can rejoice in knowing that I've just taken my place on the assembly line of life, which more often than not is located between two wide bodied commuters on the Long Island Rail Road.

That's okay though because I'll gladly trade in my bed for a seat on the LIRR, my laptop computer for my very own cubicle, my unemployment check for a real one, my - well you get the point.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm definitely going to miss sleeping until 2 pm, hanging out with Rocky, and watching reruns of McGyver. But there comes a time in every man's life when he has to stop mooching off of other's and actually make something of himself. Although, ironically since a temp agency got this position for me I'm still a moocher.

But that's neither here nor there. The only thing that matters now is that I have to go to work in the morning and don't have any shirts that fit since I've put on so much weight these last six months. So much so that I look like Jason Giambi pre Balco hearing.

Not being able to fit into your shirts is a good problem to have though because it means that you're working. I can only hope that I have other problems like this in the future. Like not being able to decide if I want a corner office or larger stock options. Until then, I'll make do with the shirts I have and hope that Kohl's has a sale before next Monday.

Now if you'll excuse me for the first time in six months I have to go get ready for work.

No comments: