Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Assembly Line of Life

First day on the job today. Nothing too bad. Nothing too exciting either. Which basically sums up the work day for millions of people around the world who work because they have to. I'm now one of those people thanks to having more debt than most gamblers and third world countries...combined.

I can accept what I'll be doing knowing that it's only for a little while and that it'll be over soon. But I can't imagine doing it every day for the rest of my life. And I was wondering today why anybody would.

Waking up early, coming home late, never seeing your family, etc. It wears on you. I can see it on the faces of the grumpy commuters who look like they're one shoulder bump away from having a nervous breakdown. And I wonder why does it have to be this way?

Why don't these people if they're so unhappy change professions and do something that they'll enjoy more? Why don't they all move to Florida and become teachers?

Critics of mine will say that I don't know what I'm talking about. That people work because they have bills to pay, famalies to take care of. And I get all that. What I don't get is why everyone is such a glutton for punishment. I quit jobs, clubs, activities all the time if I'm not happy. Life's too short to be a worker bee if there is something else out there that you can do.

Which is why I'll be getting off of the assembly line of life as quickly as possible. I don't know why everyone else doesn't as well. All I know is that in the average day there are only 3 hours when a worker isn't sleeping, working, or commuting to work and that to me is wrong.

And that's all I got to say about that.

No comments: