Thursday, December 22, 2005

Here's Johnny

I was so happy to wake up Wednesday morning and find out that the Yankees had signed Johnny Damon that I almost wasn't even upset anymore about the strike or the fact that I had just gotten four hours of sleep. Acquiring one of the premeire leadoff hitters and centerfielders in the game clear out of the blue will do that to you.

To make matters even better it's a move that directly weakens the rival Red Sox at the same time. Which brings up a good question. Can you name the Red Sox' centerfielder, shortstop or firstbaseman if the season were to start tomorrow? I can't. And I know the names of every single member of the Red Sox organization which doesn't bode well for your chances. But what we all can name is the Yankees projected batting order on opening day:

Damon, Cf

Jeter, SS

AROD, 3b

Giambi, 1b

Sheffield, Rf

Matsui, Lf

Posada, C

Cano, 2b

Williams, DH

And that sure brings a smile to my face even if it's too cold to actually move my face muscles into one.

What doesn't bring a smile to my face is the strike, the unbearable 3-4 hour commute each way, and the stubborness of union and elected officials to settle it. Here are some more things about the strike that piss me off more than crickets at night during the summer....

No comments: