Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The San Diego Super Chargers

A recent conversation I had with my friend Hernandez from Northeastern went something like this: (Keep in mind that Hernandez thinks he's a surfer even though in the words of Brian B he has the balance of a black toddler.)

Me: "Holla."

Hernandez: "Yo, Shames. I like your blog. It gets people fired up man. Like those dumb feminist bitches. Dude, you should write about sports more. Especially the San Diego Super Chargers. Woohoo!"

And never one to disappoint a fan here's my take on the big issues facing the Bolts:

1. To Brees or not to Bress that is the question - and a very big one facing management this coming offseason. Do they resign their team leader and a likely pro baller for the second straight year (along with Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer) in Drew "I have an ugly birth mark shaped like the Virgin Mary on my face" Brees. Or do they hand the reigns of the franchise over to former top 4 pick Phillip "my career's floating down the "Rivers. Keep in mind that Rivers was appointed the franchise savior after the Bolts passed on Michael Vick and were spurned by Eli Manning. I think they should hold onto Brees and deal Rivers for a top pick this year that they can use to shore up their defense or get a top young wideout. I hear the Jets need a QB and will have a high draft pick.

2. Is LT the best ever? Lawrence Taylor maybe if you're talking about linebackers. LaDanian Tomlinson definitely is if you're talking about running backs. Think Barry Sanders on steriods. And to think he didn't even make the pro bowl the year before last in a year in which he gained a thousand yards rushing and receiving.

3. Gates chose the right sport. That might be the understatement of the year. But TE Antonio Gates is an unstoppable force on the football field after playing collegiate basketball where he was more Oliver Miller than Shaquielle O'Neal.

4. Can they make the playoffs? Brutal schedule + slow start + 4th quarter chokes - late win over Washington + LT, Gates, and Brees + injury to Bryon Leftich/by the fact that I have no idea what I'm talking about = Wild Card Berth! At which point the Shames-o-Matic prediction meter says they'll knock out the AFC East Champion Patriots in the first round before losing to the Colts in the second round.

*If you want to be like Hernandez and see me write about something that you're interested in just drop me a line.

No comments: