Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Sons of Italy

I'm not Italian but I do own a Scarface poster and have seen a few episodes of the Sopranos so I thought I would swing by the Sons of Italy' Rocky Marciano club in Oceanside last night to play a little Texas Hold 'Em poker with a bunch of old Italian men.

Being the high roller that I am I had no qualms with throwing down the $80 entry fee and took my seat at table #3. As I did I was reminded of movies like Rounders and Ocean's 11 even though the only similarities between last night and those movies was that gambling was involved. Although in my case I'm not sure if you can call what I did last night gambling.

Being about as lucky as the Chicago Cubs, I got no cards and the first time I did I lost $200. So after about a half an hour of play I went all in after being dealt a King/Jack hoping one would come up on the turn or river. It didn't, the whole table laughed at me for making such a stupid play, and I had to take the walk of shame being the second person eliminated in the whole tournament! And the worst part is that I still had to wait for Brian to be done so I could get a ride home!

That's the last time I pretend to be Italian or a poker player. I think I'll just stick with pretending to be funny.

No comments: