Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Twilight Zone

In the words of Jack Black, prepare yourselves, for things are about to get 'freaky deaky'. What I'm about to tell you is going to blow your mind like nothing ever has before. You'll be tempted to chalk it up to mere coincidence but upon further review you'll find that not even the most obscure of explanations will work. There's something greater at work here, something unexplainable. The kind of thing you'd find on an episode of the Twilight Zone or Lost.

What I'm referring to is a bizarre serious of circumstances that occurred yesterday at work. It all started when I struck up a conversation with the new guy, Robert, a 27 year old tv/movie buff and former production assistant for the Sopranos. (Keep that last part in mind)

We started talking about movies, and favorites actresses and by the time I went to lunch my entire area of co-workers had just run the gaumet of pop culture discussing everything from transformers to Resident Evil.

At the time I didn't think twice about the conversation because on any given day you'll talk about dozens of different things to help pass the time. But I began to realize that this was no ordinary conversation after going to lunch and reading the New York Post. Now keep in mind that the fact that I read the paper at lunch is unusual to begin with since I usually read it on the way home but for some reason I was compelled to read it at lunch. And I soon realized why I was supposed to read it...

(Drum roll please) The reason why is that literally everything we had just talked about appeared in the paper in some shape or form. My first clue was seeing the headline "Charles in Charge" just minutes after debating whether or not Kirsten Dunst played the youngest daughter on the show. The headline referred to an article about '24' which we had also just discussed saying how it was hard to get into without having watched it from the beginning.

Further into the paper I found pictures for Keira Knightly, Scarlett Johannson, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, and Tom Cruise all of whom had been mentioned prominently throughout our conversations on favorite actresses and movies.

At this point I knew something was up so I looked in the Daily News as well to see if this phenomenom was just contained to the Post. It wasn't. In the Daily News I found headlines containing the words 'Lost' and 'Underworld' obvious references to my favorite show and the new Kate Beckinsale vampire movie both of which we had just spent a signifcant amount of time talking about.

If you're still not convinced consider that the Daily News had an entire pullout section dedicated to...the new season of the Sopranos. Which as you'll recall is the show that the new guy worked on.

Between pictures, headlines, and articles I was convinced that it had to be more than just mere coincidence that every single thing we discussed appeared in print format that same day. Not some things we talked about. But every single thing.

It's almost as if we were preordained to talk about those things by some all powerful god of gab. Perhaps if I had read both papers on the way to work I would have been able to predict what conversations would take place. Which is definitely something that I'm going to try tomorrow. Until then I'm just going to go around thinking that I'm living out an episode of the Twilight Zone. The only question that remains though is how long has this been going on for? (Cue Twilight Zone music.)

No comments: