Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Much Ado About Nothing

So I'm on the subway yesterday morning and this cute blonde who looks like she knows her way around a museum keeps checking me out. At first I dismissed because I was half asleep but then I realized that she actually was checking me out.

Right away I began to go through the mental checklist of reasons why she might be checking me out. I immediately checked to see if my fly was down but it was firmly in place. I then thought that perhaps I had something on my face but I quickly cast that thought aside because undoubtedly my mom would have licked her finger and taken it off her herself in front of everyone on the train platform if there really was something there.

Considering that my glasses were crooked, I hadn't shaved, my outfit didn't match, and my hair was going off in different directions like Cheney's bullets I knew she wasn't checking me out for my dashing good looks. Then it dawned on me.

She was checking me out because it was Valentine's Day. A hopeless romantic who was dateless this year she was probably sizing me up, saying to herself, 'now there's a guy who definitely doesn't have plans for tonight. With a little bit of hair gel and some contacts he wouldn't look half bad. I wonder if he wants to watch the Notebook with me?'

And that's the same look that several other girls gave me throughout the day. That, 'I wonder what he's doing tonight look'. And I don't get it. Is it really that important to have plans on Valentine's Day? It's just a stupid hallmark holiday anyway. Wouldn't you rather save your money and buy all the left over chocolate when it goes on sale in two days?

I know I would. And I also know that I would never be caught dead wearing red on Valentine's Day. My buddy Kevin at work wasn't so lucky. When I confronted him he claimed that he had nothing else to wear. Yeah, right. He's a sucker for the holidays just like everyone else.

And to me there's nothing wrong with that. You can be in the holiday spirit all you want. I certainly wasn't complaining when my boss brought in chocolates for everyone. Where I draw the line is when blogger turns into patented B in an orange circle logo into a heart. When grown women act all upset that they don't have a Valentine. Like they're still in high school and nobody decorated their locker on their birthday. When people are making out on the train and acting all lovey-dovey.

This is going to sound wrong but there's a time and a place for everything. And Valentine's Day isn't the place for that kind of behavior. It's just another day. Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

No comments: