Thursday, August 04, 2005

F'ing My Space

I hate conforming with society. It's why I refuse to drink or try new foods. It's why I don't listen when people tell me that wearing socks with sandals is a major fashion no-no. It's why I will never forgive myself for getting an earing in seventh grade when I tried to fit in with my new classmates. If there is one thing that I pride myself on being, it's original. Sometimes embarrassingly so.

That's why it pains me to conform with society and join the growing My Space movement at www.myspace.com. I had already caved in once and joined The Facebook. Now I find myself caving in once again and wasting more of my precious (yeah, right) time in yet another online community.

The worse part about such communities are the profiles that you have to create for them. Between myspace, facebook, and the 17 dating services that I belong to, I actually now have more online profiles than fantasy baseball teams. And they all say the same thing. About me: 23 year old virgin whose unemployed and still lives at home with his parents. Interested in: Anything I can get. Most recognizable feature: chest hair.

Despite the hassle of having to create yet another profile I joined nonetheless. The desire to be cool was a small factor. The major reason: the ability to link up with the cast members from Lost, each of whom has a profile with pics and a blog. I'm still not sure if it's actually them, or if it's just writers for the show or fans of the show pretending to be them. Either way it's cool to say that you're my space friends with celebrities.

At least I think so. But then again I also think that twizzlers are one of the four major food groups.

No comments: