Wednesday, August 03, 2005

In Defense of Blogging

There seems to be some dissension amongst the ranks in the blogging community over the issue of whether or not to blog every day or just once in a while. And by dissension I mean a recent post on Malf's Mouth that ripped the frequency of my blog as opposed to the once a month dabbles at entertainment of that site.

Brian's diatribe, however hurtful, does raise the interesting question of how much is too much? Should blogs be daily whenever possible or just when the writer has something really good to write about it? Which in my case is everyday but in Brian's case is about once every five weeks.

I'm not sure there's a definitive answer to that. After all, I do both. Daily for this blog. Weekly for Shame(s) on You. Gamers all Access lies somewhere in between.

Determining which frequency works best for you depends on the content of your blog and your target audience. (That sentence sounds like it should be found in an article on how to start your own blog.) Nonetheless, it rings true.

For example, I'm a Headcase is all about my life, a daily journal or diary of sorts, with limitless entries about current events, day to day occurrences in my life, and random thoughts I've been storing up since before I knew what a blog was. It doesn't matter if there are so many posts that people can't even keep up with my inside jokes. It's not for everybody else's sake. It's for my own mostly. As a sort of online therapy. If there are people out there who enjoy reading it, then great. If not, it's still going to continue indefinitely because I can't imagine not doing it each night before I go to bed.

On the other hand, Shame(s) on You is published far less frequently. Mostly because it's the only one of my three blogs that can get away with being weekly since there isn't something happening every day in the sports world to rant about.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Shame(s) on You has been the less successful of my three blogs. Very few people know about it and the ones that do never know when to check it since it's updated so sporadically.

That's why daily blogs are better. People know to check it out everyday because there will always be something up there. It's something to look forward to. A constant in your life, like reading the newspaper each morning or knowing that I'm hooking up with your girlfriend. I feel that it's much better to get into a routine like that than to have to randomly check up on a blog that eventually you forget about entirely.

With that having been said I'd much rather blog everyday just for the thrill of trying to one up myself with new material each day. A weekly blog would be too easy. I have too much to say to limit myself like that. And besides, I have fans (Montana girl), online stalkers (Northeastern girl), and people who are in denial that they have a crush on me (Whitney girl) who need their daily fix of Craig. The last thing that I want to do is disappoint them.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to rant about Rafael Palmeiro.

No comments: