Friday, August 26, 2005

My Favorite Freeland / NU Shuffle Moments

With President Richard "Higher Tuition Richer" Freeland leaving NU at the end of the year I can't help but reminscence about all the good times the guys at nushuffle.com and I had feuding with Richie Rich over the years. Here are some of my all time favorite moments:

10. When the students of the African American Institute took to the streets to protest Freeland's decision to close their facility we were right there with them, blocking traffic on Huntington Avenue which forced Freeland to compromise.

9. At a Northeastern-Army football game down in D.C. members of the shuffle staff said aloud that the crowd was quieter than Matthews Arena during a NU hockey game. Unknown at the time but the comments were said right in front of Mr. Matthews who was sitting in the row ahead of them.

8. The day the site was launched Freeland went berserk questioning all his top aides on who was behind it. Eventually they traced it back to me because of my anonymous Shames on NU columm which had a picture of me with me eyes blurred out.

7. Created the slogan "Higher Tuition. Richer Freeland." off of NU's actual slogan of "Higher Learning. Richer Experience." Proceeded to sell t-shirts promoting said slogan out of Tommy's backpack.

6. Printed so many flyers advertising site for free in Snell Library that NU actually changed their printing policy as a result, now charging students to print.

5. At a class council function I talk to Freeland for several minutes shooting the breeze before he asks what my name is. After I tell it to him I'll never forget the face he made after realizing that he just spoke with his arch rival nemesis without realizing it.

4. I have no proof but when I tried to run for Homecoming King I couldn't becaues no faculty or staff members would write a letter of recommendation for me. I think it's because of direct orders from Freeland to blacklist me.

3. We gave hard hitting answers to questions for a NU Magazine story about the site. Freeland found out about it and stepped in, censoring the piece which upset the writer of the story, a former teacher of mine so much, that he agreed to write me a letter of recommendation just to get back at Freeland.

2. After Freeland cancelled Springfest to get back at students for rioting after the Patriots Super Bowl victory we participated in a rally outside of the President's Annual Mardi Gras Breakfast to protest the decision. Two of our guys went in, grabbing free food and cursing out Freeland to his face, before getting thrown out.

1. At a press conference to answer questions from students about the cancellation of Springfest I went off on a five minute tangent, ripping Freeland in front of every major Boston tv newschannel and newspaper outlet, saying amongst other things: "you care more about what the U.S. News and World Report thinks about you than you do about the students." And finishing it all up by saing, "what say you to that." My quotes were in the Boston Globe and Boston Herald the next day.

No comments: