Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Healthcare Headaches

So Mark came home from the hospital on Saturday and checked back in on Sunday. I kid you not. This time he came down with pneumonia which when I say it sounds like something you clean the kitchen with. Coincidence? I think not.

Most likely he caught it while he was in the ER for his heart attack. Which reminds me of the time I got the flu from getting a check up at the doctor's office. There are so many germs and viruses at these places that I try to avoid going to the doctor at all costs.

While Mark's been in the hospital I've been able to observe some flaws in our healthcare system and I'm not just talking about the cost of your HMO. Here are some of my recommendations:

Free basic healthcare like in Canada.

Since you get a recording when you call into 911 the recording should at least give you options like press 1 if you need an ambulance, press 2 if you're suffering from the heat, press 3 if you need the police, etc.

They could also give you alternate phone numbers like to the fire department.

Masks for visitors so that they don't get sick just walking through the ER.

Help call buttons on the beds in the ER.

New preventative technologies that can measure what percent your arteries are blocked at before you get a heart attack.

Health care providers paying for such preventative tests.

No cost for ambulance rides when being transferred from one hospital to the next.

No comments: