Tuesday, August 30, 2005

In Defense of Being Geeky

Over the last week, whenever I told somebody that I was auditioning to be on the WB's Beauty and the Geek they laughed and said, "but you don't look geeky enough!"

Most of the time when you call someone geeky they take offense to it. This time though, I actually took offense to being called not geeky. That's right. I want to be known as being geeky.

To me there's nothing wrong with it. It's not an insult, or a put down. It's simply a declaration of who I am. I take pride in the fact that I'm geeky, and is someone who doesn't care about what other people think about him or his hobbies.

I enjoy blogging and averaging one fantasy football draft per day. I like reading Harry Potter books, playing video games, and spending my friday nights playing trivial pursuit while everyone else is out getting just drunk enough to be able to say, "I can't feel my legs."

That's not my thing though. Preferring to stay in is. Which just goes to show that geeks come in all shapes and sizes and aren't easily identified. After all, not all of us wear our geekiness on our sleeves in the form of a pocket protector or bow tie.

But there is a little bit of geekiness in all of us. In some more than others. And I'm damn proud of mine.

Now if you'll excuse me my 11th fantasy football team is about to draft.

1 comment:

WB said...

I really think you're just having a hard time differentiating "geek" from "loser"