Monday, January 16, 2006

More Random Wedding Thoughts

A day later and I still can't get over how well my sister's wedding went this past weekend. Everybody had a great time and the staff at the Crescent Beach Club did a great job. I highly recommend them to anybody looking to book a wedding on Long Island. Since I'm still so hyped up from the wedding I thought it would be appropriate to spend another day blogging about it.

First of all, I loved how Melanie and Dan's two worlds collided and everybody got along even combinations you never would have imagined in a million years doing so. I used to worry about how my friends would get along when my worlds would collide but after seeing how it all played out this weekend I no longer have to worry about that. After all, if one of Dan's groomsmen can get along with my cousin from Uruguay then I think someone from Northeastern can get along with someone from Baldwin.

I also want to add new fuel to the who has it worse, men or women, fire. Clearly most people, even men, would agree that women with the fact that they have to pay $35 for a haircut and get to enjoy nine months of child labor have it worse. But I have to say that after standing through a wedding ceremony in a tuxedo 5 layers deep while the bridesmaids were comfortable wearing strapless dresses, that men, at least in terms of body temperature during black tie events have it worse.

Lastly, I just wanted to throw out a few crazy wedding ideas that I have. Let me know what you think about these:

An affair without a sit down dinner. Essentially a four hour cocktail hour so that people can sit whereever they want, get up and move freely, and instead of having to select just one main course meal can instead enjoy various ethnic stations from all over the world throughout the whole night. Would also save the bride and groom a headache from having to come up with a seating chart.

A karoake wedding. No band, just a karoake machine and all your guest providing the entertainment throughout the night.

A winter wedding outdoors, at least for the cocktail hour, made possible through the use of heat lamps.

And as I mentioned in my Week In Review column on Saturday a groomal shower and manregistry. Why let the bride have all the fun. It's time to let the groom get some things for the house that he wants. Who needs 7 toaster ovens when you can get a power saw?

No comments: