Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Baseball Season In Review

Since I'm always making crazy predictions I thought it would be a good idea to actually sit down before the season even started and make detailed, team by team predictions. That way when I claim that I called something after it happens I'll actually have written proof that I really called it.

I haven't looked at these predictions since I made them so I'm just as curious as you are to see how they turned out. Maybe I'll surprise myself and have a really high accuracy rate, perhaps indicating that I should go work for one of those baseball preview magazines.

Without further adieu here's what my crystal ball saw back in March with what actually happened/is likely to happen in parenthesis:

Playoff Teams

AL: Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Angels - (White Sox made it over the Twins)

NL: Braves, Marlins, Cardinals, Padres - (Astros made it over the Marlins)

Awards

AL: MVP, Rodriguez; Cy Young, Santana - (Oritz/AROD; Colon)

NL: MVP, Pujols; Cy Young, Prior - (A.Jones; Carpenter/Willis)

Individual Performances

Things I Got Right:

Bartolo Colon will win 20 games for the first time in his career

Huston Street will become the A's closer

Break out year for Bluejays Sp Gustavo Chacin

Brewers as the surprise team in the NL

Career years for Brady Clark, Brandon Inge, Brian Roberts, Jeremy Bonderman

Bounce back year for Jason Giambi

Andruw Jones will set a career high in homeruns

Mark Loretta proves to be a one year wonder

Things I Got Wrong:

30/30 season for Vernon Wells

Michael Young comes back down to Earth (Won the batting title)

Cleveland's Bob Wickman loses closer's job (40+ saves)

David Eckstein will struggle in St. Louis (made the All Star team)

Big year for Carlos Beltran


*Will there you have it. Looks like I did pretty well considering how hard baseball is to predict. Check back in January to see how my football predictions panned out.

No comments: