Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Warming Up To The Holidays

I used to hate the holidays with a capital H. Not believing in God or even the practicality of a concept such as religion itself, I couldn't stand the idea of wasting my time going to services or sitting through a long, drawn out meal in honor of some made up belief.

Throw in the fact that these meals don't include any fried foods, are served out of people's kitchens and not drive thrus, and undoubtedly at some point someone will be making fun of my eating habits and it's easy to see why I hated them so much. You can only sit there like a jackass, watching everyone else eat matzah ball soup for so long, until you've had enough.

Coming into the holiday season this year I felt that I was at my boiling point. I didn't even want to partake in the festivities this year even though I always enjoy seeing my relatives. I would have just preferred to be on my own, doing my own thing.

But I decided to put up with the song and dance for one more year, primarily because I realized that if I run from the holidays I'll never get any where in life. After all, how can I expect to meet a girl and get married if I won't go to her house for the holidays?

It's just something that I have to do and as long as I can control what's on the menu and ensure that there are enough side dishes that I like to eat I should be okay from here on out. It's just a shame that I didn't think of bringing non-traditional side dishes like white rice, noodles, and potatoes in past years. Instead I sat through years of chopped liver and gafilta fish. What was I thinking?

But it's all good now.

No comments: