Saturday, October 15, 2005

Waging A Losing Battle

And no I'm not talking about the war in Iraq. I'm talking about how I spent my Friday night fighting the flow of water into my basement, which is also where my room is.

Due to the non stop rain over the last week, some estimates put it at 13 inches others at 20, the water well under my house overflowed causing water to pour into my basement from the drain at the bottom of our outside staircase while more water seeped up into my room from the ground up.

I noticed the water at around 4 pm and from then on I fought a losing battle trying to scoop the water out as fast as it was coming in. I started out with a cup, then used a shovel, and by the end of the night had a wet vac running at a rate of 5 gallons/minute. It still wasn't enough.

Not even having my sister, her fianance, and my mom working simultaneously seemed to help. The water was just coming in too fast from too many different places. Around 9 pm we stopped for dinner and for the night. But not me. I was determined to not let the water overrun my room.

So I kept at it until 12 am when suddenly the attachment on the hose of the wet vac snapped off and the suction part of the hose was left dangling where it quickly found a new attachment to latch onto: my penis. That's when I knew it was time to retire for the night.

So I did so begrudingly, having lost to mother nature yet again. Turns out I wasn't the only one. Most of East Rockaway and Oceanside were flooded out as well, including almost all of my development and even Katie's house all the way on the other side of town.

They're saying that this is one of the worst storms in the last century and whose to argue. Certainly not anybody who suffered water damage. Certainly not me.

No comments: