Friday, April 21, 2006

NBA Playoffs Preview

The NBA is the most predictable of all professional sports so I can already tell you that it's going to be the San Antonio Spurs and the Detroit Pistons that will meet in the NBA Finals. But what most people can't tell with any great degree of certainty is what else will happen. I can. Here's a look at the first round of the playoffs with future rounds analyzed at a later date.

Eastern Conference

Heat over the Bulls: The NBA playoffs are all about matchups. If the Heat were going against the New Jersey Nets in the first round the result might be different but they match up favorably with the Bulls and should win easily. Bull's guard Ben Gordon can go head to head with Miami superstar Dwayne Wade but the Bulls have no inside presence to stop Shaq. Heat in a cake walk.

Pistons over the Bucks: I feel bad for the Bucks and whoever else has to face the Pistons the rest of the way. They are far and away the best team in the Eastern Conference and the only team that can beat them is wearing their uniforms.

Washington over Cleveland: It's time for LeBron James to step up but unfortunately for Cleveland he's going to be stepping on a sprained ankle for the forseeable future. As a result I forsee a future of playing golf for Cavs players.

Nets over Indiana: Without Ron Artest the Pacers will lack the defensive toughness needed to stop the Nets trifecta of Kidd, Jefferson, and Carter. In fact, I wonder if they have the toughness to even stop my main man Nenad Kristic.

Western Conference

Spurs over the Kings: The Kings are probably the greatest 8th seed of all time thanks to their mid season acquistion of Ron Artest. However, they still lack the go to scorer needed in crunch time and unless PG Mike Bibby steps up they will be in trouble against my pick to win it all.

Phoenix over the Lakers: A lot of people are picking the Lakers to pull off the upset but because they are I can't even though I want to. I also have a hard time picking against Steve Nash whose clearly the best point guard of my generation. The loss of Amare Stoudemire will hurt them but not until the Conference Finals against Tim Duncan and the Spurs.

Dallas over Memphis: The Grizzlies had a great year but without playoff experience I don't see how they can beat a Mavericks team that has finally learned how to play defense. Expect Dirk Diggler and co. to win easily.

Clippers over the Nuggets: This is the hardest series to predict and I can't believe that I actually picked the LA Clippers to win it but Kenyon Martin's uncertain status is what swayed me to pick the Clippers. If they don't have a healthy Martin they have no chance at stopping Elton Brand inside.

No comments: