Thursday, April 20, 2006

Shames on Shames: Religion

Barry Bonds isn't the only person who can have his own platform from where he self promotes and gives his side of the story. Thanks to blogger.com now I can have my own forum as well. Which is why all week long I'll be giving you all a rare introspective look at my inner thoughts as only I can. It's everything you ever wanted to know about Craig Shames from the man himself.

Up today, Shames on religion:

Last monday night on RAW, WWE Chairman Vince McMahon came out and announced the creation of McMahonism. He didn't actually create his own religion, it was just for a storyline with Shawn Michaels who is planning on becoming more spiritual as a gimmick, but it brought up a good point. And that is that another religion should be created.

To that end how about a church of atheism? I'm actually very surprised that there isn't something along those lines already in existence because there really should be. I mean, I'm atheist but I actually like the idea of religion. I like having faith, gathering somewhere once a week to talk about issues in the community, and meeting other people that share similar views as me. I just don't like having to believe in an all powerful being. If I could congregate with other atheists and talk about moral values and what we need to do to strengthen our lives and communities I would do so. Just check your coats and beliefs about god, the devil, heaven, hell, salvation, and the second coming at the door.

If no one wants to start a church of atheism I would even settle for atheistdate.com. Just some way to meet other atheists so that I don't always have to be on the defensive about my religious views. Which for the record are that there is no god. In fact, I think that you would have to be a complete idiot to believe in God and apologize if that offends anyone but it's the truth.

My reasoning for calling every single person that I know an idiot is that religion is just something that was made up a long time ago to explain away things that people couldn't understand. If it rained it must have been because the god of rain made it do so. If there was an Earthquake it was because the Gods were angry at the people. From their simple viewpoint the idea that an all powerful being controlled their environment made sense to them. But nowadays we know differently. We know why things work the way that they do making a believe in a higher power unnecessary. And yet people continue to believe in God.

I don't quite understand why. No one still believes that the Earth is flat or that the sun and planets revolve around the Earth. And yet a lot of people still belive in this idea of God. It's an outdated belief, created a long time ago by simple minded people, and yet it lives on because of the unknown. It lives on because atheists like myself can't prove our side of it other than to say just because. And as long as there is no definitive proof either way the debate will rage on.

I just wish that it didn't have to be this way. Wars have been waged, people have been persecuted, and groups of people with differing views have been villified. All for an outdated concept that doesn't even make sense anymore. Wake up people and smell the man made coffee. We're on our own and we need to spend less time praying and more time fixing our problems.

No comments: