Monday, September 26, 2005

Happy Gilmore

And no I'm not talking about my fascination with the Gilmore Girls. I'm talking about golf.

I'm not a big fan of the sport, if you can even call it that, so it's weird that I'm even blogging about it. But that may all change after I went to the driving range with Brian over the weekend.

I started out slowly swinging and missing more than Alex Rodriguez with runners in scoring position. But eventually I got the hang of it and started making contact. After I found a stance that I liked (an unorthodox one at that where I stand behind the ball with my legs spread apart in two different positions like I'm a first baseman stretching for a throw) the results started to come. I could control where the ball went and was hitting it well over 250 yards.

Kind of makes me wonder that with my quasi athletic ability where I'm certainly no slouch but not that great at any one sport that maybe I could have been a pro golfer. Golfers aren't great athletes but they are in shape which is the category that I kind of fit into.

Golf is also a game where being afraid of the ball doesn't hinder you and there's also nobody trying to tackle you or take the ball away from you. It's just you and the course and with my cerebal abilities I could probably be competitive.

After all, I already dress as uncoordinated as Payne Stewart and love to play mini-golf so maybe I've always been a golfer at heart. I just wish I would have gone to the driving range sooner. Like say 15 years ago.

No comments: