Friday, May 27, 2005

Ah kids!

Last night, Billy and I went to the Long Island Ducks minor league baseball game; my first trip out East to see Carlos Baergea's alma matta. I was really excited to go but after the 7th inning of the first game of a doubleheader I was already on the LIE heading home.

You may be asking yourself why would a baseball fanatic leave a game early and not even stay for the second game of a double header? The reason can be summed up in two words: fan friendly.

You see minor league baseball teams like the Ducks appeal to families who want to watch baseball but don't want to pay the big bucks it costs to watch the Yankees and Mets. It's good for them but bad for a true fan like myself who can't concentrate on the game with all the little kids running around.

Don't these kids know that while they're off trying to get the attention of Duck's mascot, Quacker Jack, I'm trying to time how long it takes Juan Melo to get to first base. How am I supposed to scout these guys and get my big break as the next great Yankees scout if I can't even concentrate with thousands of duck callers blowing in my ears? Ah, kids!

But on the bright side I did run into an old friend of mine, Ducks owner and former Met, Buddy Harrelson. He begged me to let him sign something, but I said, "no thanks, I already have your autograph from 6th grade field day."

No comments: