Wednesday, July 13, 2005

All Star Game Musings and Rants

Just woke up and blew a collective sigh of relief after seeing that the American League won home field advantage in the World Series. I don't know what's worse. The fact that the all star game determines home field advantage in the World Series. Or the fact that I found out through espn.com since it ended too late. Just some of the many things wrong with professional baseball right now. Here are some of my other random thoughts, musings, and rants from around the world of baseball:

I like the idea of a world baseball classic but scheduling it before spring training when injury risk is at its height makes about as much sense as George Bush being named the grand marshall of a Gay Pride Parade.

At this rate none of the top stars (see Sheffield, Gary) are going to play out of fear of injury. Especially players entering their free agent walk year. The tournament should be held, if at all, immediately following the mlb season only involving players from the 22 teams whom didn't make the playoffs that year. That way players don't get too burned out for the following year and will have enough time to recover. Since it will be November by then games could be held in dome stadiums around the U.S. and Japan or in warm weather locals in the Caribbean.

It is an interesting concept though. I wonder if they were to break it down even further by ethnic and religious groups what they could come up with. The Jewish team wouldn't be that bad. It would have Diamondbacks outfielder Shawn Green, Cardinals starting pitcher Jason Marquis and 23 team's accountants.

I still can't believe that Derek Jeter is not in the all star game. He was used to promote the game in commercial spots that aired on fox for crying out loud. Having an all star game without Jeter is like having a carrot eaters anoymous meeting without me. It's absolutely unacceptable.

I was shocked that Red Sox outfielder Johnny Damon complained about starting pitcher Curt Schilling moving into the bullpen for health reasons. I thought that Ben Affleck was the official team spokesman for the Red Sox anyway, not Damon. Who died and made Damon king of the Red Sox? Oh yeah, it was Affleck's career. My bad Johnny. Complain away.

How is Rangers starting pitcher Kenny Rogers allowed to participate in the all star game when he's been suspended for 20 games for assaulting a camerman? That's like me getting invited to Brian Feldman's house for dinner after I broke his nose. I wouldn't want to go and I don't know why Rogers is insisting upon showing up at the all star game. What an assclown.

You gotta love Gary Sheffield for saying what everyone else is always thinking. I think they should sell portable Gary Sheffield bobble heads that carry pre recorded messages in them. That way when you're in a tough spot and want to tell someone off but can't find the right words, Sheff will be right there to cook something up for you. A product like that would have come in handy when I was getting fired a few months ago.

In watching fox telecasts is there any need for that annoying animation, Scooter? I thought we were an advanced civilization. I feel dumber for having watched Scotter tell me how to throw a changeup.

No comments: