Wednesday, July 20, 2005

More Random Harry Potter Thoughts

Since I know you all can't get enough of Harry Potter I've decided to dedicate yet another blog post to the subject. Partly because it's interesting to me but primarily because I have to go study for my first two history tests on Thursday and don't have a lot of time to think about anything else.

But before I go and memerize some useless facts that I'm never going to use again in real life, I wanted to hit on two more things that bothered me about Harry Potter. First off, has there ever been a more useless hero in the history of mankind? It always seems as though Harry gets by on sheer luck or the abilities of his friends more than he does on his own abilities. It's always a phoenix swooping in to heal him or Hermione remembering the correct spell to use. He never does anything for himself. I don't know about all of you but I see right through him.

Secondly, isn't it convenient how whatever he needs to get out of a particular jam he always seems to have what he needs with him. Such is the wonders of magic. Rowling has written herself the perfect situation. One in which there is a way to write yourself out of any potential dead end since when in doubt there is magic you can do. It reminds me of the old Batman and Robin tv shows starring Adam West. Whatever he needed for that episode he would have in his bat belt. I swear one time he even took out a bad ladder and climbed a building. I mean, come on. A bat ladder?!?!?

No comments: