Monday, July 11, 2005

You Couldn't Pay Me Enough.....

Over the weekend my cousin Kimberly asked me if I would be willing to help out her friend and watch her 5 year old son each day from about 2-6 pm after he got out of pre-school. Considering that I would be spending every morning learning about history for four hours I declined. I just couldn't imagine how much my summers would have sucked if I had to go to school in the morning and baby sit in the afternoon. When would I have gone to the beach? When would I have blogged or checked my fantasy baseball teams? When would I have had time to check jdate profiles?

It sounds selfish I know, but the real underlying reason for my refusal was that little kids and I don't get along. There must be something about me that makes kids react like my dog whenever Brian Malfettone comes over. The way that Rocky growls and barks at Brian is the way that kids react upon meeting me.

Case in point. I was playing stickball with Brian, Rob, and his brothers about two years ago and there was a little league practice letting out at about the same time. As the kids, probably 8-10 years old, were waiting to get picked up they decided it would be funny to heckle me. As such they proceeded to say that their grandmothers threw harder than me. It didn't help that Brian was telling them things to say to me.

Then maybe three years ago I met one of Brian Berkowicz's cousins. Supposedly he's the most well behaved kind of all time, but upon seeing me he immediately walked up to me and kicked me in the shin.

With incidents like those fresh in my memory it didn't take long for me to decline my cousin's offer. Sure I needed the money. But I'd much rather have my dignity.

No comments: