Saturday, June 18, 2005

Blowing Up Nation Wide, Part III

So last night after celebrating Kristen's 21st birthday at Waterzooi, I went with Brian and his girlfriend Joanne to 24 Hour Bagel in Oceanside. We sat for a while and talked about a bunch of things until the always popular topic of, 'what comes up when you google your name', came up. Brian said when he googled his name, entries from my blog came up and when he googled Joanne's name nothing came up except for the error box saying, 'didn't you mean, pain in the ass.'

So as soon as I came home, I of course went straight to google and typed in my name to see what would come up. And sure enough some of my blog entries came up. But, that wasn't the only thing.

There was also a link to a Chicago Tribune story in which their WomanNews section spotlights blogs that are either by, for, or about women. And somehow my 'Shame(s) on you' rip of NASCAR drivers not supporting Danica Patrick made it into their spotlight.(http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/women/chi-0506080330jun08,1,6155671.story?coll=chi-leisurewomannews-hed).

It figures that all of the places one of my blog entries would wind up would be in the feminist section of a newspaper. If you're reading this blog and don't know anything about me, that pretty much sums up my life.

But anyway, getting printed in the Chicago Tribune is still pretty cool I must admit. However, what's more is that I was chosen (without even submitting anything I may add) over a feminist from Chicago (who submitted a bunch of stuff) and who therefore was pretty upset about it and ripped my entry on her blog, Goddess Musings. (http://www.veronicas.org/blog/2005/06/blog-spotting.html)

Here's a sample:

"Craig was ranting about the idiot NASCAR men who whined about Danica being in the Indy 500 and her weight advantage. What does that have to do with equal rights? And someone please tell him that women do NOT have equal rights. The last time I looked, the ERA was still not in the Constitution, the Pay Equity Act is never enforced, and still have to choose how to balance work & family.

UGH!

I know WomanNews wants to be cool and hip by snipping interesting pieces from blogs, but come on, at least quote from a blog that 1) makes sense and 2) reinforces what WomanNews tries to do and that is advance the rights of women (most of the time, I'll over look all the plastic surgery ads in the print edition)."

At least quote from a blog that makes sense. OUCH! But wait it gets even better. Because then the online blog (Ms. Musings) that's connected to the feminist magazine, Ms., posted about my entry and the furor created by WomenNews' inclusion of it in their Blog Spotting Section and ripped on it too. (http://www.msmusings.net/archives/2005/06/isnt_it_ironic.html) Here's a sample:

"As Roni points out, today's sampling is pretty weak. The four-paragaph defense of Danica Patrick seems well-intentioned, but it's hardly original and even offensive (although the writer might be going for irony; who knows?).

But here's the rub: The entry is by Craig Shames, a
newbie blogger whose blog is a quirky mix of observations about news and friends and dental woes. A blog by, for or about women? Guess WomanNews missed this entry of his from June 6 in which he (ironically again, I'm sure), confesses his envy of Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo for hooking up with Northeastern University "sluts," something Craig apparently tried but failed to do in his four years there."

Haha...this is great. A bunch of feminists from Chicago getting their panties all tied in a bunch over my blog. Forget about losing my virginity. Now I can die happy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird....Craig you are a star!

WB said...

Funny thing about this is they dont seem to be offended at all that I call you a homo on the blog at least once a week

Craig Shames said...

Hahah....that's because as I said in the original Danica article the gays don't have any rights....apparently though women's rights is still a very touchy subject....long live the fembots

WB said...

I'm preparing a post called 'In Defense of Shames'

It's going to say that you're the biggest woman I know.